San Luis Obispo’s Electricraft announces ‘April is safe digging month, call 811 to avoid underground electrical wiring’
-April is designated as Safe Digging Month in the United States, and for good reason. Each year, thousands of people are injured, and millions of dollars in property damage is caused by accidentally digging into underground utility lines, pipes, and cables. The electrical wiring team from San Luis Obispo’s Electricraft, Inc. is reminding county residents to call 811 before digging.
The 811 service is a national call center that is designed to help prevent damage to underground utilities. By calling 811 before digging, homeowners, businesses, and contractors can have their utility lines marked, and can safely excavate the area without causing any damage.
It’s important to understand that not all utility lines are buried at the same depth. Some may be just a few inches beneath the surface, while others may be several feet deep. Without proper knowledge of where these lines are located, it’s easy to accidentally damage them while digging.
When you call 811, a representative will take down your information and provide it to the utility companies in your area. The utility companies will then send a professional locator to your site to mark the location of any underground utility lines. This is typically done within a few days of your call.
Once the lines are marked, it’s important to follow the markings closely and to dig carefully around them. If you’re using mechanical equipment to excavate, make sure to keep a safe distance from the markings, and to use caution when digging near them, reports the San Luis Obispo electrical wiring team.
Not calling 811 before digging is not a shortcut doesn’t save time and can have unwanted consequences. In addition to injury and property damage, uninformed digging can result in fines and legal action. In some cases, you may even be responsible for the cost of repairing any damage that the uninformed digging causes.
It’s important to call 811 at least a few days in advance of any digging to ensure that the utility lines are marked before starting. Include the time necessary for the utility companies to respond in any excavation plans.
It’s also important to remember call 811 if the excavation project expands into new areas, or if a delay in the project has caused the markings to fade of disappear.
In addition to calling 811, there are several other steps you can take to ensure safe digging practices. These include:
- Making sure you have the proper equipment and training before you begin digging.
- Avoiding digging during inclement weather or when the ground is wet.
- Taking extra precautions if you’re digging near a building or other structure.
- Staying alert for any signs of gas leaks, such as the smell of natural gas or the sound of hissing gas.
The safety of the communities it serves is a priority with the Electricraft San Luis Obispo electrical wiring team. Calling 811 before digging helps keeps everyone safe and prevents serious damage.
Electricraft, Inc., is a local, family-owned business that has been serving the electrical and solar needs of Central Coast communities since 1984. The company brings complete service to all electrical and solar projects with:
- An experienced and qualified team of electricians and solar installers who are trained and certified in every aspect of wiring, cabling, troubleshooting and keeping the power running at home and work.
- The skill and knowledge to building an electrical system from the ground up, or to troubleshoot and repair electrical systems from home light switches to complex designs for manufacturing equipment, medical equipment, data centers, and small businesses.
- The ability to create, read and follow complex electrical wiring schematics
- A thorough understanding of the electrical code regulations and a working relationship with building departments and code inspectors that helps get permits approved for projects and makes sure every inspection is passed.
The focus at Electricraft, Inc. is to provide superior quality service, repair and construction insuring complete satisfaction to every customer for the long term.
200 Suburban Rd., Suite A
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401